About Your Bill
Each month MEC customers receive an electric bill based upon the number of kilowatt-hours the account location used during a period of approximately one month. Meters are read and monthly meter readings are used to calculate the monthly kilowatt-hours energy usage. When a meter cannot be read on or about the scheduled date, the meter reading and corresponding kilowatt-hour usage for the period will be estimated based on prior usage. Accounts billed on an estimated basis will be adjusted as necessary when the next actual reading is obtained.
The bill will also show any other customer charges such as late penalties, heat pump loan, outdoor lighting, and surge protection fees, etc. The amount due on the bill will be rounded up to the next higher even-dollar amount for the OPERATION POCKET CHANGE Program participants. For LEVELIZED BILLING customers, the bill will also show their monthly amount due based upon their last 12 months average.
There are 15 billing cycles each month. There is an average of 25 days from the bill date until the due date. Each customer’s due date remains the same each month and is on one of the following days: 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 8th, 12th, 15th, 18th, 19th, 22nd, 23rd, or the 25th.
To prevent a late payment penalty of 5%, your bill must be paid by the stated due date. Any late payment penalty would be added to the following month’s bill.
When a bill is delinquent:
- A reminder notice is sent 3 days after the bill is past due.
- A second notice is included on the next bill which arrives approximately 7 days after the original due date. This bill includes an “intent to disconnect service” statement.
- If the bill is not paid, service is discontinued on the 11th day after the original due date.
Paying Your Bill
For your convenience there are several pay options available:
- A pre-printed return envelope accompanies each bill if you choose to use the mail.
- You may want to use BANK DRAFT, which allows automatic payment withdrawal from your bank.
- Another option that might be convenient for you would be to PAY ONLINE using your Visa, Mastercard, or Discover Card.
- You may pay by phone using your Visa, Mastercard or Discover Card.
Our district offices at Mountain City, Newland, and Roan Mountain as well as the following locations are open for walk-in payment during normal business hours.
- Pleasant’s Store in Doeville
- Brown’s Grocery and Hardware in Hampton
- Scotty’s Chevron in Elk Park
- Farmers State Bank in Butler
- Hutchinson’s General Store in Shady Valley
|Corporate Office||District Office||Branch Office|
604 South Church St
PO Box 180
Mountain City, TN 37683
1373 Elk Park Hwy
PO Box 1240
Newland, NC 28657
8477 Hwy 19E
PO Box 103
Roan Mountain, TN 37687